Sensei started training when he was 12 and has been training for over 30 years.
Since he helped to form the dojo as a non-profit, he's been teaching Aikido to people of the San Antonio community and individuals from all over the wolrd.
- 1985- Sensei started Aikido at age 10 under David Kotun who was affiliated with the Ki Society.
- 1992- joined the United States Aikido Federation, and at age 21 was awarded the rank of Shodan by Yoshimitsu Yamada Sensei.
- 1995 - joined the Midwest Aikido Federation under Akira Tohei Sensei.
- 1999 - awarded Ni-dan by Akira Tohei Sensei.
- 2000 - after Tohei Sensei's death, Templer Sensei rejoined with the United States Aikido Federation.
In 2001, Sensei saw Chiba Sensei at a summer camp that year. Templer Sensei immediately decided to pursue Chiba Sensei's teaching. After training at many seminars with Chiba Sensei, Templer Sensei began to train at San Diego Aikikai, Chiba Sensei's dojo, as a temporary live-in student for two to four weeks at a time. He continues to train regularly with the teachers and members of the Birankai, the organization founded by Chiba Sensei.
In January 2012, Sensei was promoted to go-dan (5th dan).